The ‘Grand Port Maritime’ is a public establishment of the State.
In France, there are currently 7 ‘Grand Ports Maritimes’: Rouen, Dunkirk, Le Havre, Nantes/St Nazaire, La Rochelle, Bordeaux and Marseille/Fos.
Within the limits of its constituency, HAROPA - Port of Rouen ensures the integration of sustainable development issues in compliance with competition rules and is responsible, according to the procedures it determines, for the following tasks:
- The construction, operation and maintenance of maritime access points;
- Police, safety and security, and missions contributing to the overall good functioning of the port;
- The management and valorization of the domain it owns or which is assigned to it;
- The management and preservation of the natural public domain and the natural spaces it owns or which are assigned to it; it consults the estuary's scientific council, where it exists, on its development programmes affecting natural areas;
- The construction and maintenance of port infrastructure, in particular basins and platforms, as well as land access roads and terminals, in particular rail and inland waterways;
- Promoting the provision of rail and inland waterway services in cooperation with the operators concerned;
- The development and management of industrial or logistical zones linked to port activity;
- Actions contributing to the general promotion of the port.