More than 100,000 piloting operations are carried out each year on the 32 French piloting stations. For HAROPA, 2 maritime pilot stations serve the territory: the Le Havre – Fécamp pilot station and the Seine - Rouen - Caen – Dieppe pilot station .
Organisation of the Le Havre pilot station
- Pilot on board: compulsory in Le Havre for all vessels over 70 metres in length or carrying hazardous goods, with the exception of vessels whose masters have obtained a pilot's licence.
- Offshore piloting: not mandatory. Service available and recommended, taking into account the density of maritime traffic in the English Channel and North Sea.
- Guard pilot: always available to answer questions from the harbour master’s office, ship's agents or commanders. Expertise, recommendations and advice can be provided at any time free of charge.
Human and technical resources of the Le Havre pilot station
- 100 people in Le Havre, including 52 pilots and 48 people in maritime, air, transport, maintenance and administrative services.
- 6 boats in Le Havre, including 2 permanently in service, and 1 boat in Fécamp, ,
- 1 helicopter, 1 maintenance workshop,
- Delicate manoeuvres: Since 2007, the station has been equipped with two totally autonomous DGPS cases.
- Manoeuvre simulator: Since 2005, the Le Havre-Fécamp station has also had the first port manoeuvring simulator in France.
With experience of some 12,000 movements per year, the piloting skills of Le Havre-Fécamp are increasingly called upon in professional missions or by the Tourist Office for cruise ship owners.
Organization of the Seine - Rouen - Caen - Dieppe pilot station
Piloting is mandatory:
- For vessels longer than 55 metres, from the harbour to the relay station at Caudebec en Caux.
- For vessels longer than 45 metres, between the Caudebec en Caux and Rouen relay station.
- For ships carrying dangerous goods.
- For passenger ships of 25 metres in length or more.
- Pilot boarding
- 1 mile EAST of the "RNA" buoy
- Latitude: 49°28'',6N Longitude: 000°02’,7 W
Human and technical resources of the Seine - Rouen - Caen - Dieppe pilot statione
- 105 people, including 59 pilots from the Seine - Rouen - Caen - Dieppe pilot station, and 46 employees.
- 5 boats on the harbour, 1 "fine weather" boat, 2 boats in Caudebec, 1 sounding boat in Honfleur,
- Delicate manoeuvres: the station is equipped with 6 Channel PPU (Portable Pilot Unit) cases and 3 PPU Port cases
Managed by the pilots and ISO-certified since 1998, the Seine station places strong emphasis on listening carefully to its customers and continuously searching to improve the 14,000 services it provides annually.